O GOD OF ALL CREATION

      I thought I had an 8 O'clock class, so I woke up early, did my shit and appeared in class right on time at 8.14 am. Only to find that I did not. Timetable clashes. What a waste of clean clothes. What a waste of sleep time. So what do I do now? I could go to the dentist. My tooth has been hurting something fierce since I broke it while chewing sugarcane last week. Eating has kinda been difficult and I now believe it has to be removed. I could go back to sleep, but then again I don't like sleeping during the day. Messes up my cycle. No, maybe I can actually finish that report on the field work we did last August that is due very very soon. Remind me to do that by the way. Or maybe I could walk in the middle of town to go sing the National Anthem at 1 am.

the Kenya28Feb Poster

     No, that is not just one of the random crazy ideas I give myself. It is an actual ceremony. Every February 28th, Kenyans congregate themselves at various public places and sing the national anthem together at 1 am. The first time I heard about this was 1 year ago. It might not be the year it started though. I am rarely up to speed with the happenings of things. I am slow. But not short-yellow-bus slow.
     The aim of this, I read, is to unite Kenyans from the different walks of life. I think it's to try and get over the post-election violence but that is just me. But it sounds like a good thing, no? Kenyans coming together to do the same (non-destructive) thing. Some, however, think it is a complete waste of time. We will come and sing the Anthem and then what? Those displaced Kenyans will still be suffering at the end of the day. They will still sleep in camping tents because they have no homes. Their security is still uncertain. Some still in hunger... What they are basically saying is that the National Anthem is not a magical spell. It will not fix anything. And thus, they will not attend the ceremony.
     Others say they'd rather go to help post-election violence victims in need of help than go to sing in the middle of town like a raving lunatic. Yes they say that even though they will not go help the post election violence victims because they don't even know where they are. Probably.
      Some are asking more important questions. Since we are breaking into song together, are we also dancing, you know, to complete the whole Indian feel?
     As for me, all I kept wondering is what the fuck is the National Anthem? Last time I sang it was probably during our primary school when I was  trying to be a scout. I didn't make it and have been humming through it ever since. But I wanna try this patriotism thing so first things first. I am learning the National Anthem, and if I will have crammed it by 1pm, I will hit those streets and sing out my heart and if not, then that doesn't make me any less patriotic. Because what I do is between me and my Country. I think I am confusing patriotism with religion, but that is not the point. The point is Kenyans need to stop hating one another and unite to form a better tomorrow. As cliche as that sounds, this is actually true. we really need to stop hating on everything and everyone. Even if that hate feeling will not be replaced by love. But it is easier said than done. We all preach this love shit but how many of us practise it? I, for one, know do not. But maybe it's time I changed. I need to stop hating The Aunt and maybe I will become happier. That is what everyone tells me. It may be true but in the mean time, let me learn the Anthem and see how much warmth that gives me.

The Feb28 logo

 Here is the Kenyan National Anthem for the other of my fellow Kenyans who also don't know it. I am sure I am not the only one. I cannot be that special.
KiswahiliEnglish
Ee Mungu nguvu yetu
Ilete baraka kwetu
Haki iwe ngao na mlinzi
Natukae na undugu
Amani na uhuru
Raha tupate na ustawi. Amkeni ndugu zetu
Tufanye sote bidii
Nasi tujitoe kwa nguvu
Nchi yetu ya Kenya
Tunayoipenda
Tuwe tayari kuilinda.
Natujenge taifa letu
Ee, ndio wajibu wetu
Kenya istahili heshima
Tuungane mikono
Pamoja kazini
Kila siku tuwe na shukrani.
O God of all creation
Bless this our land and nation
Justice be our shield and defender
May we dwell in unity
Peace and liberty
Plenty be found within our borders. Let one and all arise
With hearts both strong and true
Service be our earnest endeavour
And our homeland of Kenya
Heritage of splendour
Firm may we stand to defend.
Let all with one accord
In common bond united
Build this our nation together
And the glory of Kenya
The fruit of our labour
Fill every heart with thanksgiving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT DO YOU SAY ABOUT WHAT YOU HEAR?

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

JUST REMEMBERED